Yesterday, Universal Music held a listening session in Toronto for Drakeâ€™s debut album,Â Thank Me Later.Â Ace Burpee was in attendance andÂ shared his experience.
1) Thereâ€™s a song on the disc called â€œFireworksâ€ that has the greatest beat ever. Drake has this sidekick producer called 40, and heâ€™s talented. I met him as well this afternoon and heâ€™s also a good kid. Heâ€™s about to be very, very busy. â€œFireworksâ€ has a hook on it courtesy of Kings of Leon. Itâ€™s catchy.
2) There is a Kanye Westâ€“produced track on the album that comes with a story. The track was made by Kanye for Beyonce, but Drake really wanted it so he wrote her a handwritten letter asking if he could use it. She read it and thought it was sweet and eâ€“mailed him to give her permission. Itâ€™s a great track.
3) Thereâ€™s a Jayâ€“Z/Drake track that he played for us â€“ minus Jayâ€™s verse. Jayâ€“Z doesnâ€™t let anyone hear his stuff before it comes out. Drake claims it is the greatest verse Jayâ€™s ever done.
4) I think the final track on the album is called â€œThank Me Nowâ€ or something. He played us a recorded verse then did another one live and it was one of the best. Really cool.
5) He sings on a bunch of tracks on the album.
6) This Saturday Drake will be in L.A. doing a track withÂ Dr. Dre and Eminem.
7) Yes, there is a Timbaland beat on the album.
It is highly possible that the biggest album of 2010 will be from a Canadian, and his name will be Drake.